Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving...Oven Roasted Turkey

Thanksgiving....Lets talk Turkey!!

Thanksgiving is my all time favorite holiday to host.  In my large Italian family everyone is designated a holiday, lucky for me I get to host Thanksgiving.  Let me tell you why: the expectation of the guest is simple,  I do not have to reinvent the wheel because the menu is tradionally the same Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing etc.. My childhood Thanksgiving meals did not include a turkey...We were Italian we ate Pasta, Meatballs etc...a larger more formal Sunday meal. Yes I know how sad for me..I would BEG my mother to cook a turkey like all the other "normal" families did. When I think back I have to chuckle because now I love being "not the norm". Well... I do cook a Thanksgiving turkey and have become quite good at it! I have really honed my skill in producing the juiciest, tastiest turkey over the years. Additionally, I love setting and decorating the tables, yes along with loving to cook I have a passion for decorating the table come the holidays and family events.  I am going to share with you my Turkey Recipe. I must give credit to Martha Stewart the first year I had to cook the turkey I checked in with the expert on how to go about it. Over the years I have stayed with the same concept but developed my own recipe along the way, making notes on my recipe each year tweaking it!!

Roasted Turkey

20lb. Fresh Whole Turkey (giblets and neck removed from inside and put aside)
3 sticks unsalted melted butter, and 4 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
1 Bottle Dry white wine (Chardonnay is my choice)
2 tsp. Kosher or Sea Salt
2 tsp. Fresh ground black pepper
2 Large Onions quartered
4 Ribs of celery cut in quarters
4 Carrots peeled and quartered
2 large Fresh bay leaves
bunch of fresh Thyme
Cheesecloth-large piece folded into quarters and cut into a 17 inch four layer square

1. Wash the bird with cool water, dry with paper towels.
2. Tuck the wings back and under, rub the bird with the 4 tbsp of softened butter, salt and pepper inside and out. Stuff the bird with the onions, celery, carrots, bay leaves and thyme. (I do not put stuffing inside my bird)Tie legs together. Let it sit at room temperature for about an hour.
3. Place rack in the oven at the lowest level, pre heat 450 degrees.
4. Combine melted butter and wine in a pot, dip cheese cloth in the butter and wine, let it soak a bit.
5. Place turkey breast side up, on a roasting rack in a heavy metal pan. If the turkey has a pop up timer remove it, use a real thermometer it is always more accurate.
6. Lift cheesecloth out of liquid, leaving it very wet. Spread it evenly over the breast and about halfway down the sides of the turkey; it can cover some of the leg area. Place turkey legs first in oven. Cook for 30 minutes. Using a pastry brush, baste cheesecloth and exposed parts of turkey with the wine and butter.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and continue to cook for 2 and 1/2 more hours, basting every half hour and rotating the turkey each time.
8. After the third hour of cooking remove the cheesecloth and discard.
9. Again rotate the turkey and continue basting be careful because the skin gets fragile as it browns. Cook one more hour, basting after 30 minutes.
10. After the 4th hour of cooking insert an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh the temperature should read 180 degrees and the turkey should be golden brown.  If it has not reached 180 degrees return to oven, baste and check again in 30 minutes.

Let the Turkey sit for at least 45 minutes before carving.

 Finished!! Sorry about the date stamp..

 
 
These were my homemade place cards that adorned the tables last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment