Monday, February 21, 2011

The staples of your Spice library



I am often asked about spices.  I have a variety of spices in my pantry but often use some of the same ones that I just love and I consider those my staples.  These are spices that I can use to flavor protein, starches and salads.  You can keep these dried or fresh.  These are the spices that I would suggest to any new cook that is just beginning her/his spice library.

-Kosher and/ or coarse Sea Salt
-Black pepper mill
-Crushed Red Pepper flakes
-Oregano
-Parsley
-Basil (I only use fresh)
-Rosemary
-Thyme
-Bay leaves
-Garlic Powder
-Onion Powder

Basil is a personal thing.  Dried basil and fresh basil are two different flavors to me.  I don't care for dried basil, so if I don't have fresh on hand I just don't use it. Traditionally I use fresh onion and garlic, but on some occasions I like to use in addition or in place of onion and garlic powder.  These again have a different flavor than the fresh version.

No comments:

Post a Comment